Thursday 20 June 2013

Give Blood, Save Lives.

This is a scheduled post. By the time it publishes, I am on my way to airport, flying back to Jakarta to attend friend's wedding. Her wedding is on Sunday but obviously, since I'm going back to my beloved hometown, might as well I extend my trip for few days, for family reunion and pamper myself abit. Well, spa and saloon and appointment have been searched and *ahem*, booked. And here I go, looking forward for a short holiday. Mommy, I see you very very soon! 


Two days ago, there were some people from Redcross came to my office, in the event of blood donation. Most of my colleagues registered and yep, donated their blood. Even one commented, I have no money, I have nothing, but blood! 

Don't you know if you have donated some blood, the window time is 12 weeks (for male) and 16 weeks (for female) until you can donate blood again? And those HIV, syphilis, diabetes, or some stuff weird blood stuffs not allowed to donate. And the most interesting is that, if you just came back from holiday from these blacklisted Malaria/ dengue countries, such as Batam and India, well, you are not allowed to donate blood as well! So here we go sharing my humble experience.


First, registration:

This is my first time doing blood donation, I've never done this before. Hence I need to bring my IC for verification and fill up the registration form and questionnaire form. Passed the form to the nurse, go ahead to see doctor for a short medical screening. 


Second, medical screening:

Doctor or nurse will ask some questions such as, have you ever had minor surgery or dental stuff for the past 12 months. The questions may vary. Oh ya, they will take your blood pressure, weight, and etc. 

Third, blood test, for haemoglobin. This test is quite fast, is too determine whether your haemoglobin level is sufficient enough for you to do donation. In facts, if you don't have enough blood or suffering from fatigue, and not feeling well, you are not able to donate. Think about you collapse (well , in the office, for my case) right away after donating blood. haha. Not cool. 

Fourth, donate blood lah! nurse will perform injection direct to blood vessel, the tube is connected to the blood bag. If you are more than 50kg, you will donate 450ml of blood bag, less than 50kg, is 350ml. Guess which ml blood bag am I donated? Dingdong! :-D


Post- donation, I need to rest for at least 10 mins and the nurse kept on asking are you fine, feel giddy anot, and all that stuffs, which is obviously, not. I didn't feel giddy immediately. My giddiness kicked in for awhile, after lunch time... In facts, the nurse gave me milo and raisins which rich in sugar and iron. I just knew raisins esp dried raisins, rich in iron. haha. So I asked for more raisins and munch it throughout the day. That explains why I felt good about myself on that day. Coz consuming lots of sugar. haha.  Of course after lunch I popped up a tablet of iron, prescribed from the nurse. So to replenish the blood back, I need to at least few days eating iron tablets. 




Now I feel so good about myself. About donating the blood. It is not about bragging myself or something. I feel good. I really feel good. (you might be thinking, yeah, I get it, Deb). 


It's because, simply, even if I donated only a small bag of blood, not that a huge 450ml of blood bag like most of my colleagues did. I knew deep inside my heart, that this blood could be potentially saving lives. 

And what an amazing feeling is that, knowing that, me, a little girl, could have an opportunity and privilege, to save someone's life! :-D Maybe it's not direct help, you know. And I don't even know who the recipient would be. I imagining the recipient could be a little girl who needs blood for cancer surgery. Or could be a soldier in the front line of battle war. Or could be an old woman who had fatal accident and need emergency operation means emergency blood supply. Or could be you, who reading this post at this right moment. Wow, thinking about that makes me feel good. :-D


Oh ya, nah. photos, just a proof I'm not making things up. Till next time! 











Below is 450ml and above is 350ml blood bag.
-Deb-



No comments: